posted on 23/02/2010: 519 views
In keeping with its commitments, as described in the "Policy of the United Arab Emirates on the Evaluation and Potential Development of Peaceful Nuclear Energy" the Ministry of Presidential Affairs yesterday announced the establishment of an International Advisory Board (IAB). The IAB will provide the UAE nuclear program with the benefit of the expertise and knowledge of a highly select group of internationally recognised experts in the fields of peaceful nuclear energy.
The board benefits from a distinguished membership chosen from among the world's most recognised experts in nuclear science, non-proliferation, regulatory affairs, energy generation and distribution, reactor operations, waste management, human resource development and related fields.
The IAB consists of nine members and is chaired by Dr. Hans Blix, who served as the Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency for four terms, from 1981 till 1997. Additional members of the board include: - Mr. Jacques Bouchard, special advisor to the Chairman of the French Commissariat L'Energie Atomique, and former Chairman of the Generation IV International Forum (GIF).
- Dr. KunMo Chung, who served twice as Minister of Science and Technology in South Korea.
- Ambassador Thomas Graham, who serving as a senior U.S. Diplomat was involved in negotiation of every major international arms control and non-proliferation agreement during the period 1970-1997. He is currently the Executive Chairman of the board of Lightbridge Corporation, a company which holds patents on a new type of nuclear power fuel based on thorium.
- Mr. Takuya Hattori, President of Japan Atomic Industrial Forum, Inc. (JAIF) and President of JAIF International Cooperation Centre. Mr. Hattori also, served as Executive Vice President of Tokyo Electric Power Co. Inc. (TEPCO).
- Lady Barbara Judge, Chairman of the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority. Lady Judge previously served as Commissioner of the US Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Dr. Mujid Kazimi, Professor of Nuclear and Mechanical Engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dr. Kazimi previously served as Head of the Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering at MIT.
- Mr. Jukka Laaksonen, Director General of Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority in Finland.
- Sir John Rose, Chief Executive of Rolls- Royce plc, a major nuclear component and service provider in UK.
The International Advisory Board will meet semi-annually, to receive reports on the progress of the UAE Nuclear Program against targets of achieving and maintaining the highest standards of safety, security and non-proliferation. Board members will provide their invaluable insights into how the program can be optimised against these targets.
Based upon these semi-annual reviews, the board will issue regular reports that suggest potential areas for improvement. As part of its commitment to transparency, the government of the United Arab Emirates will make these reports available to the public, ensuring that both domestic and international stakeholders are able to monitor the program's performance against the highest international standards.
The IAB is expected to conduct its first meeting in February, 2010. - Emirates News Agency, WAM
|21 May 2013||Nuclear regulator invites public to comment on nuclear facilities guide|
|30 April 2013||UAE nuclear plants designed to withstand earthquakes|
|09 April 2013||UAE’s nuclear energy programme on track|
|26 March 2013||ENEC installs containment liner plate for UAE's first nuclear energy plant|
|19 March 2013||UAE nuclear energy drive gains public confidence|