The original name of Hormuz island, Jarun was the successor seaport to Old Hormuz which had been located on the coast of Kerman province in southern Iran, near modern Minab. Around 1315 the centre of gravity of the kingdom of Hormuz
was shifted to Jarun, allegedly because of the persistence of attacks
against Old Hormuz from tribes on the mainland.
Jarun was the economic centre
of the kingdom, trading with India and China, while supporting the
cultivation of date-palms and sugarcane. Copper, silver and gold coins
minted therre between the mid-fourteenth and early sixteenth centuries
have been found in northern Ras al-Khaimah at at al-Mataf, the site
during this period.