What to do in Abu Dhabi
What to do in Dubai
What to do in Sharjah
What to do in Ajman
What to do in Umm al Qaiwain
What to do in Ra's al-Khaimah
What to do in Fujairah and on the East Coast
Ajman, a short distance north-east of Sharjah City, is the smallest of the seven emirates. Ajman City is blessed with a fine natural harbour on the Arabian Gulf and fishing and dhow-building are still important aspects of life here. This was once a sleepy town situated along a central Creek with a beautiful 16-kilometre stretch of white sand beach but, like the rest of the Emirates, it is undergoing significant development, especially in the area dubbed ‘New Ajman’ along Emirates Road. Many of these projects have been postponed, scaled down or cancelled, including the new airport.
1. First on your list is a visit to Ajman Museum, which is located in the lovely old eighteenth century fort in the town centre. This served as the Ruler’s palace and office until 1970, when it became the main police station before its reincarnation as a museum. It now houses an interesting collection of archaeological artefacts, manuscripts, old weapons and reconstructions of traditional life.
2. Next should be the boat-building yard on the north side of the Creek, just a few kilometres from the city centre. This is one of the most active dhow-building yards in the country and here you will travel to a time when the wind was master and great fleets of dhows with billowing sails journeyed to the nearby pearl banks. The dhows are built from great big trunks of imported hardwood in the traditional way, by eye rather than using detailed blueprints.
3. Shop designer brands at the City Centre Mall or bargain for more traditional ware at the Iranian Souk.
4. The stretch of white sandy beach near the Kempinski Hotel Ajman is perfect for a relaxing swim and sunbathing session.
5. Ajman has two very rural agricultural enclaves in the interior, Masfut to the south-east on the road to Hatta and Manama about 60 kilometres east just off the main road between Al Dhaid and the east coast.